New April 2022:
These exercises involve matching map symbols to control description symbols and interpreting rotated maps.
This link goes to the initial tutorial exercise. From there, you can find other exercises in the Map Symbol Matching section of the menu (top-left of the exercise page):
The following interactive map symbol quizzes will help improve your knowledge of the IOF map symbols by asking you to match the symbols with the corresponding text.
Each time you play, 8 symbols are picked at random from your chosen group so you have to play several times to see all the symbols.
- Map Symbol Quiz - Land forms
- Map Symbol Quiz - Rock and boulders
- Map Symbol Quiz - Water and marsh
- Map Symbol Quiz - Vegetation
- Map Symbol Quiz - Man-made features
- Map Symbol Quiz - Overprinting symbols
Too easy? Then try these which pick symbols at random across all of the above groups:
As your skills improve, you can alter the time limit on the exercises to make them more challenging.