Orienteering Symbols Quiz
Our interactive control description symbol quizzes will help improve your knowledge of the international IOF pictorial symbols by asking you to match each symbol with the corresponding text.
Each time you play, 8 symbols are picked at random from your chosen group so you have to play several times to see all the symbols.
- Control Description Quiz - Land Forms
- Control Description Quiz - Rock and boulders
- Control Description Quiz - Water and marsh
- Control Description Quiz - Vegetation
- Control Description Quiz - Man-made features
Too easy? Then try these which pick symbols at random across all of the above groups:
- Control Description Quiz - All feature types - 8 symbols
- Control Description Quiz - All feature types - 12 symbols
If you're using a small screen and finding it hard to see all the symbols, try holding Ctrl and pressing minus sign (-) to reduce the page size. Hold Ctrl and press zero to go back to normal page size. Also try using F11 to toggle Full-screen mode on / off.
Once you've mastered the individual feature symbols, try these combined ones:
- Combined Symbols Control Description Quiz 1
- Combined Symbols Control Description Quiz 2
- Combined Symbols Control Description Quiz 3 (NEW - 9th Nov 2012)
This quiz will test your ability to identify compass directions in different map orientations:
These crosswords test your knowledge of the IOF text descriptions for the symbols:
A comprehensive reference guide to control descriptions including examples is available at: